As a working mom, finding time to workout can often feel like an impossible task. With busy work schedules, childcare responsibilities, and household chores, finding the time and motivation to exercise can be overwhelming. But with some careful planning and prioritisation, it’s possible to fit exercise into even the busiest of days.
One of the first steps to finding time to workout as a working mom is to block out dedicated time in your schedule. This can involve waking up a little earlier, squeezing in a lunchtime workout, or setting aside time in the evenings after the kids are in bed. By treating your workout like any other appointment or task, you’re more likely to stick to it and make it a consistent part of your routine.
Another strategy for finding time to workout is to involve your family in your fitness routine. For example, you could go for a family walk or bike ride after dinner, or sign up for a parent-child exercise class at your local gym. Not only does this allow you to spend quality time with your family, but it also sets a positive example for your children and teaches them the importance of regular exercise.
Setting Realistic Goals
When you’re trying to find time to workout as a working mom, it’s important to set realistic goals. Setting unattainable goals can often lead to disappointment and frustration, making it more difficult to stay on track with your fitness routine. Here are some tips for setting realistic goals that will work for you:
1. Assess your schedule
Take a realistic look at your schedule and identify when you have free time. This can be during your lunch break, early morning or evening, or even on the weekends. Identify a specific time slot that you know you can commit to.
2. Start small
Don’t try to overhaul your entire fitness routine all at once. Instead, start small and gradually build up. This might mean committing to working out once a week to start, and then gradually increasing the frequency as you become more comfortable and confident.
3. Make it Enjoyable
One of the best ways to stick to a fitness routine is to find an activity that you enjoy. Consider trying out different workout styles until you find something that you look forward to. It could be yoga, pilates, dance, or even a fitness class with friends.
4. Focus on Intensity, not Duration
It’s not always possible to find a full hour to work out every day, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make progress. Instead of stressing about the duration of your workout, focus on intensity. You can get a great workout in just 20-30 minutes if you’re working hard and pushing yourself to your limits.
5. Be flexible
As a working mom, your schedule is likely to change frequently. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss a workout or have to reschedule. Instead, be flexible and willing to adjust your routine as needed.
By setting realistic goals, you’re setting yourself up for success when it comes to finding time to workout as a working mom. Remember to be patient with yourself, stay committed, and most importantly, have fun!
Incorporating Workout Into Your Schedule
As a working mom, finding time to workout could seem impossible. But it is important to prioritise your physical health, and making time for exercise is a great way to do that. Here are some tips to help you incorporate workout into your busy schedule:
- Schedule your workouts: Just like you schedule meetings and appointments, schedule your workout sessions too. Choose a time that works best for you, and stick to it. This could be early in the morning, during your lunch hour, or after work.
- Make use of your lunch hour: If you have a busy schedule which doesn’t allow you to workout before or after work, make use of your lunch hour. It might be tempting to spend the whole hour eating or chatting with colleagues, but you can instead use that time to go for a quick walk or do a short workout in your office/gym.
- Involve your family: Let your family know about your fitness goals and encourage them to join you in your workouts. This could be in the form of a morning walk or jog, a family yoga session, or a weekend hiking trip.
- Use workout apps: There are several apps out there that offer quick and efficient workouts which can be done at home with little to no equipment. You can download them on your phone and sneak in a quick workout whenever you have some free time, or during a TV commercial break.
- Multitask: Try to combine your workout with other activities to maximise your time. For example, you can do squats or lunges while cooking dinner, or stretch while watching TV.
Remember, it’s not about how long or intense your workout is, but about consistency. Even a 10-minute workout is better than no workout at all. With a little bit of planning and effort, you can easily find time to incorporate exercise into your busy life as a working mom.
Maximising Your Workout Time
As a working mom, it can be a real challenge to find the time to work out regularly. Between juggling work, family responsibilities, and household chores, it can be hard to find a spare moment for yourself, let alone a trip to the gym. However, with a bit of planning and creativity, it is possible to squeeze in a workout or two each week. Here are some tips on how to maximise your workout time and stay on track with your fitness goals:
- Schedule your workouts: Treat your workout time as an important appointment and schedule it into your calendar. This will help you prioritise exercise and make it a part of your routine.
- Start small: Don’t try to fit in a marathon workout session all at once. Instead, aim for shorter workouts that can be done in smaller chunks of time. Even just 20 or 30 minutes of exercise can make a significant difference.
- Mix it up: Variety is key to keeping your workouts interesting and challenging. Try different types of exercise, such as strength training, cardio, or yoga, to keep your body guessing and prevent boredom.
- Get creative: You don’t need a gym membership to get a good workout. Consider taking a brisk walk during your lunch break, doing bodyweight exercises at home, or following an online workout video.
- Involve your family: Get your children involved in your exercise routine by taking them for a walk or bike ride, or by playing a game of tag in the backyard. Not only will you be getting exercise, but you’ll also be spending quality time together.
By following these tips, you can make the most of your limited workout time and stay on track with your fitness goals. Remember, it’s important to take care of yourself in order to take care of your family.
In conclusion, I understand that finding time to work out when you’ve got a busy schedule as a working mom can be a challenge. However, taking care of your physical and mental health is crucial, and regular exercise is a great way to achieve this.
Here are some key takeaways from this article that will help you find time to exercise as a working mom:
- Be intentional with your time: Plan your workouts in advance and schedule them into your calendar.
- Find workout activities that work for you: Choose workouts that you enjoy and that you can easily fit into your schedule. This could be anything from running, yoga, dance classes or workout videos.
- Incorporate workout routines into your daily routine: Look for opportunities to get active during your day, like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, cycling to work or taking a brisk walk on your lunch break.
- Get support from your family and friends: Share your goals with your family and friends and ask for their support. They can help with childcare or support you in your efforts to stay active.
Remember, it’s important to be patient with yourself and to celebrate your progress. Small changes to your routine can have a big impact on your overall health and wellbeing. By following these tips, you will be able to find time to work out and achieve a healthier, happier lifestyle.